Now is the time to join us!
At Virgin Pulse we value and celebrate diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We believe in creating teams made up of individuals with various backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. Why? Because diversity inspires innovation, collaboration, and challenges us to produce better solutions. But more than this, diversity is our strength, and a catalyst in our ability to #changelivesforgood.
Who you are
Hiring is the most important thing a growing business needs to do well. We look for engineers who have following the three attributes: they are technical, versatile, and data driven.
Since each engineering team operates with a high degree of autonomy, the work to deliver software involves many functions from sprint to sprint with a model of "build it, run it". As we hire, we are looking forengineers who are good communicators and can do more than just writing code.
Versatility and making decision based on data are important attributes of working in engineering.
In this role you will wear many hats but your skills will be especially essential in the following:
- Design, code, and test new platform components, features, and enhancements for our platform
- Collaborate with agile cross-functional teams to define, design, and ship new features
- Triage, analyze and improve app performance in production
- Participate in sprint ceremonies to design solutions, estimate effort, and collaborate with the team to effectively plan work
- Unit-test code for robustness, including edge cases, usability, and general reliability
- Monitor platform performance tools in production and raise awareness to team
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
What you bring to the team
- 4+ years of development experience in Java, Angular or or similar tech stacks
- Outstanding problem solving skills and a solid grasp of object-oriented programming
- Solid understanding of the full software development life cycle
- Strong communication skills, openness to collaborate, and enthusiasm to deliver as a part of a team
- A passion and drive for learning technologies and applying them pragmatically
- An ability to contribute to a technical discussion and the openness to listen and learn from your peers
You should at least be familiar with:
- Experience with modern (RESTful) web applications
- Experience with Java, Kotlin, or similar language dev skills
- Experience with SQL; PostgreSQL is a plus
- Experience with common front end technologies such as Angular, React, Pug, Bower/NPM, Grunt, etc.
- Experience writing Unit Tests
- Agile Scrum or Kanban methodologies
What makes you stand out:
- Spring Boot Framework
- Cassandra / Redis
- Terraform / Puppet / Ansible
- Understanding Software Architecture in the Cloud
* No candidate will meet every single desired qualification. If your experience looks a little different from what we’ve identified and you think you can bring value to the role, we’d love to learn more about you!
Our technology sets us apart
Our cloud platform is using an exciting mixture of technologies to provide millions of end users with rich experiences in native mobile and responsive browser platforms built in Angular at scale. These highly scalable, reliable applications are supported by a suite of services built on APIs and real-time processors leveraging Spring Framework technologies. Our platforms consume billions of activities, in various forms, which drive our analytics and machine learning platforms. We leverage backend systems, with AWS at their core, which support a diverse set of workloads including Aurora RDS, ElastiCache, SNS/SQS, Kafka, EC2/ECS/EKS, S3, CloudFront, and Personalize. We manage these services with infrastructure as code technologies to ensure consistency and reliability.
Continuous Integration and Deployment is part of our DNA. We structure our applications as microservices and manage each deployment pipeline using containers, GitLab, and Harness. We strive for layered approach to unit, integration, functional tests to allow for lower risk releases at rates 100s of times per day to multiple environments.
You’ll be working on a platform that serves:
- Several million users with nearly 50% use daily
- 75 billion API calls and transactions a year spread across 35 services
- An engaging native mobile platform driving 85% of user traffic
- Hundreds of terabytes of data spread across multiple transactional and analytical stores
Engineers at Virgin Pulse work in small autonomous teams of technical leads, product owners, project managers, designers, and engineers collaborating with each other, across teams, to deliver unique solutions and products to the portfolio. As part of our team, you bring to the table your technical and leadership skills to help us build the latest technology in health and wellness platforms.
Work to ensure system and data security is maintained at a high standard, ensuring the confidentiality, integrity and availability of the Virgin Pulse application is not compromised. Ensure industry best practice coding standards are adhered to ensure all code developed at Virgin Pulse is free from bugs and security vulnerabilities, such as those defined and published by OWASP.
Why work at Virgin Pulse?
We believe a career should provide competitive pay and benefits, a collaborative and supportive culture and cutting-edge technology and services. Virgin Pulse is an equal opportunity organization and is committed to diversity, inclusion, equity and social justice. To that end, we make a particular effort to recruit candidates from minoritized backgrounds to apply for open positions.