Getting Started with Clinical Wellness

First things first: Clinical wellness is a good starting point.

Some organizations may be further along on their journey to strategic wellbeing, but clinical wellness is the first rung on the ladder. Clinical wellness:

Gives employers a clear profile of their population’s wellness

Employers will gain visibility into health risks and conditions. This actionable information is helpful in tracking how your workforce is progressing on their journey to wellbeing.

Helps those who fall outside of wellness norms

You will quickly identify who in your company falls outside of wellness norms and can focus on how to help these outliers improve their health.

Guards against out-of-control healthcare costs

With a clinical wellness program in place, your organization is mitigating risk of massive healthcare expenditures by addressing the health needs of key populations.

Organizations spend a lot of time and resources on clinical wellness, and yet …

Employees are still overweight.

of U.S. adults

Twenty-eight percent of U.S. adults are obese.* That number is up more than two percentage points from 2008.

Employees are still disengaged.

of employees

Seventy percent of employees are disengaged at work.* And they have been for about a decade.

Employees are still not getting the right amount of sleep.

of workers

Fifty-eight percent of employees aren’t getting enough sleep.* The same study found that 61 percent of workers said that lack of sleep had a negative impact on their work.

Out with the old, in with the new clinical wellness programs.

Clinical wellness programs are not working. They’re often inflexible, have an outdated user experience, and are clearly not moving the needle on health outcomes. But a fresh take on your program, supported by today’s technology, will positively impact employees’ everyday lives. A modern approach will prevent employees from viewing the organization’s investment in wellness as intrusive and unnecessary, especially if:

Employees aren’t excited about having their employer draw from their health background

Employees can be put off by having their biometrics readily available to their employer.

Employees don’t want to be picked on for what they already know about themselves

They already know they’re overweight and don’t sleep enough.

There are plenty of people who can tell your employees what they need to do to be healthy

Doctors, family, and friends are already telling them they need to get healthier.

Clinical wellness shouldn’t be your organization’s end goal.

Although clinical wellness targets the health needs of high-risk populations and reduces an organization’s healthcare costs, it is not designed to promote daily use or interactions across the entire workforce. Wellness programs are focused on driving specific health outcomes, not on continuously engaging employees and supporting their holistic wellbeing at work and home.

Ultimately, the primary focus of clinical wellness is to identify key at-risk populations and deliver appropriate health interventions that will reduce healthcare costs. If you seek to improve employee engagement and organizational culture, you must take a more holistic approach to wellbeing.

There’s a way for wellness to improve your company’s culture.

Achieving clinical wellness with the proper support will open the door to focus on your organizational culture as a whole. Clinical wellness is the starting point that ignites the conversation around healthy living for individuals and will spread throughout your company’s culture.

Healthy cultures and employee engagement go hand in hand.

Thinking about your engaged, active employees turns into a numbers game:

An engaged minority will not change a workforce, but an engaged majority will.

If 70 percent of your workforce is disengaged, the other 30 percent of your workforce won’t be able to change the majority’s outlook on your organization. However, if 70 percent of your employees are engaged, the 30 percent will become outliers and either improve or weed themselves out.

A culture can change an individual, but it’s harder for an individual to change a culture.

If your culture were full of active, engaged employees, how much easier would it be to maintain that culture for individuals coming into your organization?

The next step on the Wellbeing Journey is to expand the focus of wellness initiatives to include the entire workforce, not just those faced with health risks and conditions.

Once you’re ready to take the next step, it’s time to move into social wellbeing.