Software Engineer II
Tuzla, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Now is the time to join us!
At Virgin Pulse we value and celebrate diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We believe in creating teams made up of individuals with various backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. Why? Because diversity inspires innovation, collaboration, and challenges us to produce better solutions. But more than this, diversity is our strength, and a catalyst in our ability to #changelivesforgood.
Who are you?
Virgin Pulse has an opening for an energetic software engineer to join our team. We are looking for someone who is a self-starter with a broad range of experiences in various languages and technologies. Ultimately, your contributions will empower our product suite to help our clients, and their members, to better engage in their personal wellness. If this speaks to you and you would like to work on SaaS that works to make people’s lives better than this is the right place for you.
- You are self-starter, enjoy challenging problems, and continuously improving yourself and others around you by constantly challenging the status-quo
- You will be part of a Scrum team doing full-stack development to deliver high quality SaaS solutions
- You will be grooming and planning user stories, writing test cases, developing functionality and automation, fixing defects, and updating documentation
- You will deliver quality functionality with minimal guidance
- You will engage and work with peer groups (Operations, Product, Support) to ensure that product implementation and delivered quality are high.
- You will be an advocate for improvement in quality processes including Code Reviews.
- This role may require access to systems containing Regulated or Confidential data and is thereby subject to additional security and privacy controls.
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
What you bring to the Virgin Pulse team:
In order to represent the best of what we have to offer you come to us with a multitude of positive attributes including:
- BS in Computer Science / related field or equivalent experience
- 3 years of hands-on development as a professional
- Previous usage of SQL and Postgresql
- Experience with one or more of the following data storage technologies: Postgres, NoSQL, and Elasticsearch.
- Experience with a Scrum and Agile based environment
- Ability to work closely with product managers to refine the product
- Experience with quality development processes, including unit tests, build systems, and peer reviews
You also take pride in offering the following Core Skills, Competencies, and Characteristics:
- Experience working with regulated or confidential data
- Experience with Kubernetes, Docker, and Helm
- Experience interacting with messaging services such as RabbitMQ and Kafka
- Experience writing software that interacts with third-party apis and services
- A passion and drive for learning new technologies and recommending how to apply them pragmatically
No candidate will meet every single desired qualification. If your experience looks a little different from what we’ve identified and you think you can bring value to the role, we’d love to learn more about you!
Our technology sets us apart
Our cloud platform is using an exciting mixture of technologies to provide millions of end users with rich experiences in native mobile and responsive browser platforms built in Angular at scale. These highly scalable, reliable applications are supported by a suite of services built on APIs and real-time processors leveraging Spring Framework technologies. Our platforms consume billions of activities, in various forms, which drive our analytics and machine learning platforms. We leverage backend systems, with AWS at their core, which support a diverse set of workloads including Aurora RDS, ElastiCache, SNS/SQS, Kafka, EC2/ECS/EKS, S3, CloudFront, and Personalize. We manage these services with infrastructure as code technologies to ensure consistency and reliability.
Continuous Integration and Deployment is part of our DNA. We structure our applications as microservices and manage each deployment pipeline using containers, GitLab, and Harness. We strive for layered approach to unit, integration, functional tests to allow for lower risk releases at rates 100s of times per day to multiple environments.
You’ll be working on a platform that serves:
- Several million users with nearly 50% use daily
- 75 billion API calls and transactions a year spread across 35 services
- An engaging native mobile platform driving 85% of user traffic
- Hundreds of terabytes of data spread across multiple transactional and analytical stores
Engineers at Virgin Pulse work in small autonomous teams of technical leads, product owners, project managers, designers, and engineers collaborating with each other, across teams, to deliver unique solutions and products to the portfolio. As part of our team, you bring to the table your technical and leadership skills to help us build the latest technology in health and wellness platforms.
Work to ensure system and data security is maintained at a high standard, ensuring the confidentiality, integrity and availability of the Virgin Pulse application is not compromised. Ensure industry best practice coding standards are adhered to ensure all code developed at Virgin Pulse is free from bugs and security vulnerabilities, such as those defined and published by OWASP.
Why work at Virgin Pulse?
We believe a career should provide competitive pay and benefits, a collaborative and supportive culture and cutting-edge technology and services. Virgin Pulse is an equal opportunity organization and is committed to diversity, inclusion, equity and social justice. To that end, we make a particular effort to recruit candidates from minoritized backgrounds to apply for open positions.