Senior Database Administrator
Remote, United States
Now is the time to join us!
At Virgin Pulse we value and celebrate diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We believe in creating teams made up of individuals with various backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. Why? Because diversity inspires innovation, collaboration, and challenges us to produce better solutions. But more than this, diversity is our strength, and a catalyst in our ability to #changelivesforgood.
Who are you?
As a Senior Database Administrator, you will be responsible for optimization and day-to-day operation of Virgin Pulse data stores.You will continuously monitor and improve performance and availability of database systems and processes, as well as perform system check, replication, backup, recovery, and load analysis. You will advise software developers on data management best practices and enforce their implementation, and will troubleshoot systems with other operations functions and application developers when required.
In this role you will wear many hats, but your knowledge will be essential in the following:
- Manage and maintain data management systems to encompass design, installation, deployment, replication, backup, restoration, optimization, security, and data exchange. Systems include ETL, operational data stores (relational and non-relational), data warehouse, and reporting.
- Maximize database performance by tuning file structures and managing indexes.
- Advise and guide software architects and engineers on data access methods and decisions on optimal data structures.
- Safeguard data integrity and maintain security controls in all existing databases and data exchange technology through process, training, quality control, and monitoring.
- Write simple to complex SQL queries, troubleshoot queries, and tune queries for best performance.
- Design and implement processes to automate transactional information functions to optimize operational efficiency throughout the organization.
- Manage data operations for data at rest, data exchange, batch processing, and data reporting.
- Support development and production activities.
- Generate and maintain documentation of data store systems, architectures, configurations, operations, and maintenance.
- This role will require access to systems containing Regulated or Confidential data and is thereby subject to additional security and privacy controls.
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
What you bring to the Virgin Pulse team:
In order to represent the best of what we have to offer you come to us with a multitude of positive attributes including:
- Thorough understanding of relational database technology and concepts, SQL scripting, database normalization best practices
- Expert knowledge of performance and availability monitoring, backup/restore, performance tuning, query optimization
- Extensive experience in configuring OLTP data stores for high availability and operation of HA environments using solutions like clustering, mirroring, and replication technologies
- Critical thinking skills to resolve problems and present solutions
- Excellent communication and documentation skills
- Ability to triage issues, react well to changes in priority, work with teams, and self-manage time and effort across multiple projects and environments
You also take pride in offering the following Core Skills, Competencies, and Characteristics:
- 5+ years of database server administration experience with recent focus on PostgreSQL
- Experience in at least one of the following database technologies preferred: MySQL, MSSQL, Cassandra, ScyllaDB, Snowflake
- Exposure to “NoSQL” data stores, data warehouse, and web service data exchange
- Advanced expertise in SQL, stored procedures, data batch processing, and data as a service
- Practical experience in managing internal and external database security
- In-depth expertise in automation for data operations
- Experience with cloud-based data services (especially AWS) preferred
- Previous experience in healthcare or other highly regulated industry is desirable.
No candidate will meet every single desired qualification. If your experience looks a little different from what we’ve identified and you think you can bring value to the role, we’d love to learn more about you!
Our technology sets us apart
Our cloud platform is using an exciting mixture of technologies to provide millions of end users with rich experiences in native mobile and responsive browser platforms built in Angular at scale. These highly scalable, reliable applications are supported by a suite of services built on APIs and real-time processors leveraging Spring Framework technologies. Our platforms consume billions of activities, in various forms, which drive our analytics and machine learning platforms. We leverage backend systems, with AWS at their core, which support a diverse set of workloads including Aurora RDS, ElastiCache, SNS/SQS, Kafka, EC2/ECS/EKS, S3, CloudFront, and Personalize. We manage these services with infrastructure as code technologies to ensure consistency and reliability.
Continuous Integration and Deployment is part of our DNA. We structure our applications as microservices and manage each deployment pipeline using containers, GitLab, and Harness. We strive for layered approach to unit, integration, functional tests to allow for lower risk releases at rates 100s of times per day to multiple environments.
You’ll be working on a platform that serves:
- Several million users with nearly 50% use daily
- 75 billion API calls and transactions a year spread across 35 services
- An engaging native mobile platform driving 85% of user traffic
- Hundreds of terabytes of data spread across multiple transactional and analytical stores
Engineers at Virgin Pulse work in small autonomous teams of technical leads, product owners, project managers, designers, and engineers collaborating with each other, across teams, to deliver unique solutions and products to the portfolio. As part of our team, you bring to the table your technical and leadership skills to help us build the latest technology in health and wellness platforms.
Work to ensure system and data security is maintained at a high standard, ensuring the confidentiality, integrity and availability of the Virgin Pulse application is not compromised. Ensure industry best practice coding standards are adhered to ensure all code developed at Virgin Pulse is free from bugs and security vulnerabilities, such as those defined and published by OWASP.
Why work at Virgin Pulse?
We believe a career should provide competitive pay and benefits, a collaborative and supportive culture and cutting-edge technology and services. Virgin Pulse is an equal opportunity organization and is committed to diversity, inclusion, equity and social justice. To that end, we make a particular effort to recruit candidates from minoritized backgrounds to apply for open positions.
If you are a Colorado resident and this role is available in Colorado or remote, you may be eligible to receive additional information about the compensation and benefits for this role, which we will provide upon request via email to email@example.com. Please note the salary may vary depending on your skills, and experience.