How Central Michigan University Became a Wellness-First Organization
February 1, 2018 / Corporate Wellness
We’re proud of our clients, and even prouder of their successes.
Since 2014, Central Michigan University has partnered with Virgin Pulse to forge a best-in-class wellness-first organization. With over 27,000 students, 40 locations and 2,600 full-time employees, this meant a fundamental shift in culture.
But that’s not even the beginning, CMU has actually had their eye on wellness since 2009, making the commitment to “go digital” and bring Virgin Pulse on board in 2014. CMU worked together with our data science team to better understand what their focus on health and wellness has done financially for their organization and the benefit to employees that participate in the program.
Here are a few astounding transformations they have experienced:
- Over 95% of staff describe CMU as having a strongly promoted culture of health
- CMU Virgin Pulse participants spend 11% less, on average, on their healthcare per year
- CMU Virgin Pulse participants spend significantly less on higher priced services such as home care or inpatient hospital care
- For every additional step a CMU Virgin Pulse participant takes, their claims costs decrease $0.45!
- For participants with low starting steps, their number of daily steps increased by 4,000 in the years following participation
- The average BMI decrease for CMU Virgin Pulse participants was 2 points over 12 months
Interested in learning more?
Watch the Central Michigan University webinar replay to see how their success and ROI could transform your organization.
Renee Mitson is the Senior Manager of Content Marketing at Virgin Pulse. She loves living in Providence, and enjoys cycling and eating spicy food (but not at the same time).